The FastMail archiving feature is only available to Business accounts. It allows you to setup a "journal", so any email that arrives for an account, or any email sent from an account (either via web or SMTP) is placed into a special archive folder, or bcc'd to another email address.
Archiving feature list:
- Can be enabled or disabled per-account in the Business
- Can be separately enabled or disabled for sending email and/or receiving email per-account
- Email is archived into special read-only folders that can not be altered by any user, but can be viewed by a Business administrator
- Enabling or disabling archiving also generates an archive email, so you can confirm that archiving has not been tampered with
- Flexible retention policy so you can decide how long to keep emails in the archive based on your business/industry requirements
- Priced based on storage used @ US$2.50 per-account, per-G, per-month (see below for more details)
Go to the Manage -> View / manage users screen. For the account you want to enable archiving for, click the [+] link to expand the account details, then click the "Set archiving..." link.
You'll be tabke to a screen where you can choose whether to enable archiving for incoming and/or outgoing email, and whether to set extra bcc addresses to send email to for the user.
Because our archiving system is flexible, and because different businesses and industries have different retention policies and requirements, we're pricing our archiving based on the total size of email archived for a user.
This means in a basic case, you could use archiving as a short term backup and monitoring system. For instance, you could enable archiving with a 3 month retention policy, so that any email a user deleted within the last 3 months could be easily restored, or you can view a log of all emails sent in the last 3 months for a user. With the relatively low storage used by 3 months of emails, this would be a relatively cheap way of buying this peace-of-mind.
In industry compliance cases, where 5 year, 7 year or even longer retention periods are required, there's no arbitrary limits to the size, number or bandwidth of emails sent/received that can be archived, you can archive everything for as long as you need.
The pricing for archiving is calculated and charged on the 1st calendar day of each month. For each user account with archiving enabled, $2.50 is charged for each Gigabyte or part thereof in the users archive account.
As an example, consider 3 users with the following archived email on the 1st day of a month.
- joe - 0.7G received, 0.2G sent = 0.9G total
- jane - 1.3G received, 0.3G sent = 1.6G total
- bill - 3.2G received, 0.5G sent - 3.7G total
So the total charge on that day is 1G + 2G + 4G = 7G * US$2.50 = US$17.50
Only administrators of the business can view archived emails. To do that, go to the Manage -> View / manage users and there will be a "Archive user for ...your business name..." account. Click the [+] link to expand the account details, then click the Mailbox link to look into that account.
You should see in the folder list on the left a list of users with archiving enable, and setup sub-folders, one for received emails and one for sent emails that you can then click on to view the emails.