Using FastMail with PocoMail
Note: If you already know how to set up your client, and you already understand the information below, see this help page for the server information you need to set up your e-mail client. The Troubleshooting Issues section at the bottom of this page may be helpful if you have problems.
In order to use PocoMail with FastMail, you'll need to enter the following information:
- username - When you signed up for FastMail, you chose a username which is also your e-mail address. You must use the full username, including the name and the domain part, which is the part after the '@' symbol. For example, a user named John Doe might have chosen a username of "email@example.com". Make sure that you specify your username in lowercase only.
- password - When you signed up for FastMail, you chose a password to go along with your username. You will need the password to access your account. The password also keeps others from being able to access your e-mail. Your password is case sensitive, so be sure that you type it in correctly. "PASS123" is different to "pass123". Often, users forget about the CapsLock button and mistype their password.
- incoming mail server (IMAP or POP) - This is the server that you get your e-mail from. Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) and Post Office Protocol (POP) are retrieval methods used to move e-mail messages from the server to your e-mail client so that you can read your messages. POP access is not available for all service levels, please check the pricing table for details. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is required for your protection as well. SSL keeps people from reading your e-mail as it is transmitted between the e-mail server and your computer.
- outgoing mail server (SMTP) - This is the server that sends your
e-mail. Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) is the method that your client
uses to move e-mail messages from your client to the server so that it can
send your messages. The FastMail SMTP server is not available for all
service levels, please check the pricing
table for details. If your service level does not allow use of the FastMail
SMTP server, you must use the SMTP server provided by your Internet Service
The FastMail SMTP server requires SMTP Authentication. This keeps people who are not users of the FastMail service from using the SMTP server to send spam messages on the Internet. SSL is required for the FastMail SMTP server. If you don't use the FastMail SMTP server, you may have different options or requirements. You will need to get that information from your ISP.
Thanks to Raspal Seni for these instructions.
Incoming/Outgoing Server Setup
- Launch PocoMail and select 'Accounts Setup' from the 'Tools' menu.
- You'll be presented with the 'E-mail Accounts' dialog box. Click 'New' and enter an account name for this account, for example, 'FastMail Account', in the 'Showing details for Account'
Enter your full name in the 'Full Name:' field and your FastMail email address in the 'E-mail:' field.
Enter 'mail.messagingengine.com' as the POP/IMAP Server in the green box. Enter your FastMail email address in the 'Username:' field, and your FastMail password in the 'Password:' field. Where it says 'This Server is' , select 'IMAP'
Also enter 'mail.messagingengine.com' as the SMTP Server in the red box. The 'Use Authentication' checkbox will be unchecked by default. Click on it to enable it and then enter your FastMail email address and password below. Click 'OK'.
- You may now click on the 'Optional' tab. On the following screen, 'Skip messages
over' and 'Leave mail on server for' is unchecked by default. Click to enable them and then specify the maximum size of email you want to download.
50 K is good enough for mails without attachments but you can specify anything you like. Any emails larger than this size will not be downloaded to your computer and will be left on the server which you can manage later. Click 'OK'.
- Now, either click the button named 'Check' or press Ctrl+M to check for new mail.
- Any messages in your FastMail Inbox will now be downloaded to your local Inbox. You can now use PocoMail to access all your emails in your FastMail account.
- To manage emails on the server, click 'View Mail on Server' from the 'File' menu or press Ctrl+K
- You'll be presented with the following 'View Mail on Server' screen. Click 'Connect'
- All the headers will be downloaded from your FastMail Inbox and you can manage the emails on the server using the 'Mark to Get', 'Mark to Leave on Server', 'Mark to Delete', etc. or by right clicking on a message and using the options on the menu.
Note: These instructions assume that you are a member. If you are a guest, you will need to use your Internet Service Provider's SMTP server. In the 'SMTP server' section below use your ISP's SMTP server name, not 'mail.messagingengine.com'. You will need to contact your ISP if you do not know their SMTP server name. Or simply purchase a membership, which is a setup fee of $14.95; click 'Upgrade' on the 'Preferences' screen to do this.
Learning more about IMAP
IMAP is a powerful protocol that allows you keep to your email synchronised, whether you're at home, at work, at a friends place or an internet cafe. You don't have to worry about what computer the email is on, because all the email is kept on the server and each client sees the same 'view' of the email. See this FAQ page to learn more about IMAP
There are currently no known troubleshooting issues with this client.
Last modified on: Wed May 14 12:00:00 UTC 2003